After cleaning up around the house a few days ago I dug out an old halogen work light. It does still work, but for the 250W it consumes the light output is woeful at best.
My recent interest in power LED’s has made me wonder if I can improve on its poor efficiency and usefulness.
With that thought in mind I have gone ahead and ordered 3 of Cree’s latest and greates XP-G LED’s.
At around 30% bringer at 1A than the XR-E, the three led’s should be more than enough to be useful. I’m going to use the same drive type as i’m using for the trike lights (I ordered 5) and make it four stage dim’able. Something along the lines of 100mA, 300mA, 700mA and 1A. It will include a built in rectifier so that it can run straight off an AC plug pack or off 8 to 23V DC (eg car battery).
Should be quite useful with around 1,000 lumen while using less than 12W.
I also should’nt have to wait so long this time for the LED’s. I have ordered them from a location here in Australia rather than from HK.
It will be interesting to see how this one turns out.