So far the only parts I have put together for my Reprap is what I already had around the house. After disassembling two old printers and a scanner I managed to gain some useful stainless steel shafts, stepper motors, brushed DC motors and plastic toothed gears.
These will be great for future projects such as playing with conveyor belts or a milk bottle shredder, but they are not much use for a Mendel due to their varied sizes and lengths.
I also have a few left over pc PSU’s that can be used for the Mendel. They are 400 and 350Watt rated, or 33A and 29A at 12V respectively. This should be more than enough to run a mendel and a heaterbed.
Thankfully, through years of hoarding so called ‘junk’ I have plenty of other parts that should come in useful for the build.
I have never worked with surface mounted components before so that will be a new challenge. However other than that, most of the problems that may come up with the physical construction should be familiar.
Working with the firmware, reprap software and gcode is a different story. I have never done anything like that before and so there is plenty more reading to be done.
I’m playing with google’s sketchup at the moment so a little on that next time.